The recommendations for dietitians and other members of the metabolic team to follow when managing the care of women with MSUD before and during pregnancy and after delivery are:
- Provide individualized pregnancy planning information to all women with MSUD of childbearing age and update when pregnancy is confirmed.
- Adjust dietary intake to allow blood LEU concentrations to be in the 100-300μM range and VAL and ILE in the upper range of normal (200-400μM) throughout pregnancy
- Provide individualized dietary guidance so that nutrient intake meets the changing needs of each phase of pregnancy and the postpartum period.
- Provide nutrient, clinical and biochemical monitoring during all phases of pregnancy and the postpartum period.
- For the woman with MSUD who wishes to breast feed, closely monitor her diet and laboratory markers in addition to her infant’s growth and development.